Domain Name FAQ
What is DNS (Domain Name Server) ?
Domain Name Server converts domain names into IP addresses which computers can recognize. For example, if someone wants to visit ‘Yahoo‘ (www.yahoo.com), DNS translates this domain name into its IP address 204.71.xxx.xxx. This process enables the computer to have access to the web server directed by the domain name.
How I can know the path of a file on the server ?
–> You’ll need to check the statistics area of cPanel for your home directory.
–> (usually /home/username/) contains your files.For example, if your username is ‘tom’ and you put a file in public_html called index.php, the file may be located at /home/tom/public_html/index.php
What do you mean by Sub-domain ?
A subdomain is a subsection of your website that exists as a subdirectory in your public_html folder.
Subdomains use a prefix in conjunction with the domain name.
* Lets say your domain is example.com.
* You install a Message Board and put in in a directory called mysite.com/forums/.
* You can turn the directory board into a sub-domain by adding it as a sub-domain from your Control Panel.
* Now you can access your Message board as either example.com/forums OR forums.example.com
* This costs you nothing and is free.
* All Hexahost plans supports subdomains.
What do you mean by Parked Domain ?
* You have two domains example.com and another-example.com
* example.com is the domain of your website and you want to add another-example.com.
* You want them both to go to the same place. In other words, when someone types either example.com or another-example.com they will go to the same page(s) on your website.
* In order to have additional parked domains you need to purchase them from a registry.
* Once your domain is registered, you can add them to your hosting account as parked domains.
* All Hexahost plans supports parked domains.
What do you mean by Add-on Domain ?
* You have two domains example.com and another-example.com.
* You want the two domains to be totally separate/independent websites.
* In order to have additional add-on domains you need to purchase them from a registry.
* Once your domain is registered, you can add them to your hosting account as add on domains.
* Your another-example.com will be pointing to a directory some thing like www.example.com/anotherdomain. In this method You want the two domains to be totally separate/independent websites but served from same hosting accounts.
* All Hexahost plans supports addon domains.
Do I have to change my domain if I get a new host ?
No. Provided that the domain is registered in your name (as it should be), you can simply update your namservers (from where you manage your domain names) to that of your new host. You can also transfer the domain name to Rexahost from any registrar.
How to change domain name registration information OR Whois record ?
Hexahost web hosting services offers you a free domain name control panel access to facilitate domain name record management.
URL: http://domains.rexahost.com/ Use registered email ID as username, use forgot password to get new one.
Edit the information for your domain.
NOTE: Domain name information can not be changed from Cpanel.